Introduction to Easy IO (ExactDN)
What is Easy IO?
First, let's talk about what it is not. Most image optimization programs work to solve one aspect of image optimization: compression. Specifically, they will compress all the images on your server, which is a great start, and will save you storage space on your server. That's what our Compress API is for, and it's fantastic. Easy IO is NOT for saving storage space, it IS for making your site faster!
Note: The Easy IO Developer plan includes a license key for the Compress API in addition to a subscription for the Easy IO service. This allows you to save on storage space with your web server AND get all the benefits of Easy IO!
The Easy IO process includes four components that you'll often see recommended for image optimization:
- Compress images, repacking the bits into a smaller container.
- Properly Scale/Size images, making sure images are the correct dimensions for the page and the screen where they are viewed.
- Defer offscreen images (lazy load).
- Use next-gen image formats (like WebP).
These things can have a tremendous impact on the performance of your site and the experience your visitors have on that site. Unfortunately, most image optimization programs only work to solve the compression problem, and few tackle all four of them.
As a result, optimizing images has traditionally required a lot of tedious manual work. But not anymore! Using the power of ExactDN, Easy IO takes the guess-work out of image optimization so you can focus on the things that are important!
Hold on, what is ExactDN?
ExactDN provides the tools necessary to optimize and serve your images in the fastest way possible. From compression to resizing, ExactDN makes sure you are putting your best image forward.
How does it work?
Easy IO optimizes images by doing three core things:
- The plugin searches for image urls on your site and replaces them with cloud URLS to allow automatic compression, sizing, and conversion to the WebP image format.
- Uses a customized lazy loader to defer off-screen images AND fine-tune the image sizing/scaling.
- Combines all of this with a powerful CDN to cache your images for lightning fast page loads. This moves your images closer to your visitors, so that they load quickly anywhere in the world. It also reduces the load on your web server, which can improve performance as well.
Just in case you thought that sounded too simple, here's the whole complicated process...
- Start a free trial subscription for Easy Image Optimizer at https://ewww.io/easy/.
- Link your site to your account at https://ewww.io/manage-sites/
- Visit the settings page to complete activation. Make sure the Easy IO status shows "Verified".
- Done! Now go out and get back to doing the things you enjoy!
Sorry, did I say complicated? Guess we should have added a few more steps! Okay, here's one more (optional) step:
If you would like a custom CNAME or domain (requires a Developer plan), you can set it up right after you add your site to your subscription. For example, you can use files.my-awesome-site.com instead of esdf823hfd.exactdn.com.
Usually, the only time you need to do anything manual is if your images are on cloud storage (Amazon S3, DO Spaces, GCS, etc.). If you use WP Offload Media, manual configuration is not necessary. Otherwise, contact support for assistance, and we'll get you setup in no time!
Easy IO does not permit internationalized domains (IDNs) unless you convert them to Punycode first. In addition, you may run into length limits if you have a very, very long Site URL.
If you need assistance with anything related to Easy IO, you can always send us an email (support at ewww.io)!