Supported Web Hosts
Most image optimization plugins require an API key or license key for compression. EWWW IO is different, and the free version requires no external service, no strings attached. However, the free compression requires certain PHP functions and more resources than some web hosts permit. To that end, I have compiled a list of hosts that I have tested, or those which have been reported by users and/or the webhosts themselves.
In general, these lists only apply to shared hosting services, although some of these are a step up (managed WordPress hosting). If the providers below have VPS or dedicated server options, those will likely work just fine. If you have any contributions or corrections to these lists, please let me know.
If you want my recommendation, choose WP Engine, Kinsta, or A2 Hosting. I did a detailed comparison of WP Engine and SiteGround when I was shopping for a high-end webhost, or you can find a broader selection of quality webhosts at ThisHosting.Rocks.
Webhosts where things work (mostly) out of the box in alphabetical order:
- A2 Hosting: EWWW IO is installed automatically for A2 Optimized sites.
- GoDaddy (WP hosting is JPG only, shared plans support free mode completely)
- GridPane (run 'setfacl -x group:GridPane-System-Users /bin' on the command-line to enable)
- Hetzner Online
- Hosterdam (FreeBSD)
- iFastNet (with custom php.ini from customer support)
- I/O Zoom
- Liquid Web
- The Open Host
- Site5 (tools must be built manually, or contact Site5 support for assistance)
- Spry Servers
- 1&1 (pngout requires manual upload and permissions fix)
Webhosts where you must use the "Cloud" edition of EWWW IO at https://wordpress.org/plugins/ewww-image-optimizer-cloud/ (we are actively working with these webhosts to phase out the Cloud edition)
- WP Engine
- ipage (JPG only)
- one.com – may not even work in cloud-based mode
- WordPress.com (Business Plan or higher)
With the exception of one.com, EWWW IO will work on every and any webhost using an API key or Easy IO.