Supported Web Hosts
Most image optimization plugins require an API key or license key for compression. EWWW IO is different, and the free version requires no external service, no strings attached. However, the free compression requires certain PHP functions and more resources than some web hosts permit. To that end, I have compiled a list of hosts that I have tested, or those which have been reported by users and/or the web hosts themselves.
In general, these lists only apply to shared hosting services, although some of these are a step up (managed WordPress hosting). If the providers below have VPS or dedicated server options, those will likely work just fine. If you have any contributions or corrections to these lists, please let us know.
If you want my recommendation, check out my article on web hosts.
Web hosts where things work (mostly) out of the box in alphabetical order:
- A2 Hosting: EWWW IO is installed automatically for A2 Optimized sites.
- Cloudways (enable exec per their documentation)
- GoDaddy (WP hosting is JPG only, shared plans support free mode completely)
- GridPane (run 'setfacl -x group:GridPane-System-Users /bin' on the command-line to enable)
- Hetzner Online
- Hosterdam (FreeBSD)
- iFastNet (with custom php.ini from customer support)
- I/O Zoom
- Liquid Web
- The Open Host
- Site5 (tools must be built manually, or contact Site5 support for assistance)
- Spry Servers
- WP Provider
- 1&1 (pngout requires manual upload and permissions fix)
- WP Engine
- ipage (JPG only)
- one.com – may not even work in cloud-based mode
- WordPress.com (Business Plan or higher)
With the exception of one.com, EWWW IO will work on every and any web host using an API key or Easy IO.